What’s the best skincare routine and products for oily skin?
Oily skin is skin that has excess natural oil or sebum. It is caused by the over-active sebaceous glands that produce the oil.
Oily skin is problematic not just because of it’s unattractive, shiny and sweaty appearance but also because it is prone to acne.
Excessive oil mixes with impurities and dead skin cells to form a plug that clogs the pores of the skin. This creates a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. They invade the skin and damage the balance of the natural healthy skin flora. As a result, the skin become inflamed and irritated. Sometimes, the inflammations grow into painful lesions that can cause skin damage.
Here’s what a skin care routine for oily skin should include:
- Oil control and regulation. Too much or too little, both are unhealthy. What it needs is a perfect balance.
- Ingredients with anti-bacterial properties to inhibit the attack of harmful bacteria
- Ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties to calm redness, swelling and itching
- Adequate oil-free and light moisturizing
- Nourishment with fatty acids and antioxidants
- Protection from external aggressions like UV radiation and pollution
- A healthy balance for the skin flora to thrive and function
BLACKPAINT’s products take care of all these specific to bring you a complete skin care routine for oily skin. With BLACKPAINT’s oily skin routine, you achieve healthy, glowing skin. And long lasting results. Find out more.
What makes skin oily?
Skin becomes oily when the sebaceous glands in the skin produce excessive sebum. Sebum is the natural oil produced by the human body to keep the skin moisturized. Moisture is essential for the normal functioning of the skin cells. So sebum isn’t all that bad, it is in fact essential. However, too much of it makes the skin oily and gives it a shiny and sweaty appearance.
If you have oily skin, it could be because of:
- Genetic factors : Some people have a natural tendency to have oily skin because it’s just in their genes. They have inherently overactive sebaceous glands.
- Climatic conditions: If you live in a hot, humid environment, chances are you’ll have more oily skin than if you lived in a cooler, drier place.
- Age: Teenage skin tends to be oilier than mature skin. As skin ages, the sebaceous glands become less active as the collagen in the skin reduces. This is actually one of the reasons why mature skin becomes dry and wrinkly.
- Enlarged pores: The larger the pores in the skin, the more is the sebum produced.
- Using skincare products that aren’t right for you: This is where you can make the most difference. You may not even be aware that you’re using products that don’t suit your skin type! Using low quality, synthetic and chemically-loaded products can also make the skin oily.
- Not moisturizing adequately: Ironically, when you skip the moisturizer because you think it makes your skin oily, your skin becomes more oily.
How to fix oily skin
Oily skin is not only annoying and unattractive, it can also be problematic. It is the main cause for acne that causes major skin damage. So if you want to fix your oily skin, here’s what you should include in your skin care for oily skin:
- Wash and cleanse your skin twice a day. Use a mild product preferably made of natural ingredients.
- Use a toner that contains a natural astringent that calms the skin and alleviates any inflammation
- Keep your skin moisturized with a light, oil-free moisturizer.
- Exfoliate your skin once every week to slough off dead skin cells that may clog the pores
- Use a charcoal, clay, honey or any other natural face mask suited for oily skin once every week. This will help regulate and control oil production and enrich the skin.
More tips to keep oily skin in check
Here are some tips that can help your skin care routine for oily skin:
- Keep blotting papers handy to wipe off excess oil during the day
- Use botanical oils such as jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, rosehip oil, sweet almond oil, etc. to moisturize and nourish the skin.
- Always use skin care and makeup products that are non-comedogenic, i.e. products that don’t clog the pores.
- Use a konjac sponge as a mild exfoliator to de-clog the pores
- Focus on your diet – avoid oily, spicy food and dairy. Eat more super-foods or a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole foods.
- Protect your skin from sun exposure as UV radiation can trigger and irritate the skin, causing excess oil production. Use sunscreen or sunblock when you step outside in the sun as a must in your skin care routine for oily skin. Choose products that contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for better sun protection
BLACK PAINT Soap is a deep-pore cleanser, packed with Kishu Binchotan charcoal (white Ubame oak charcoal).
- Extracts and clears blackheads & impurities effectively
- Kishu Binchotan charcoal draws out dirt from within pores without stripping away skin’s essential moisture
- Reduces acne and blackhead formation, thus reducing pore size
- combined with 30 types of premium botanical oils for skin nourishment and hydration
*Not advisable for sensitive skin types
BLACK KONJAC SPONGE is a blackhead extractor and skin exfoliator
- kneaded with Binchotan charcoal. Effective to pull blackheads from pores.
- konjac fibers provide a soft and smooth texture for gentle exfoliation
- gentle enough that can be used daily, leaving skin feeling smooth and clean.
ROSE WATER is an ACNE skin healing toner (for ACNE)
- anti-bacterial to control bacteria overgrowth
- regulates sebum production to achieve oil control
- has anti-inflammation and pacifying effects to calm redness
- has astringent properties to reduce pore size
ROSE WATER is a water retaining toner (for Dry Skin)
- has anti-oxidizing effect to slow down breakdown of skin barrier
- helps skin barrier to retain water
- turns skin supple by moisture retention
- has astringent properties to reduce pore size
FACIAL PAPER is a mask to help better absorption of liquid skincare
- creates a vaporizing effect of liquid skincare to the skin, allowing it to be smaller particles for better skin penetration
- reduces water evaporation and keep the liquid skincare moist, to prolong the period of absorption
BEST WATER is the mineral water for your skin
- nourishes skin with 30 types of essential minerals, restores skin’s natural moisturizing factor (NMF) to prevent water loss
- makes skin bouncy, supple and soft
- immediately calms irritated, itchy skin
- speeds up healing from ACNE, blemishes, burns, scrapes
Why are minerals important for our skin?
- minerals are essential to healthy skin function and cell repair
- normally present in perspiration, minerals nourish the microbiome (skin flora) that is produced at the skin’s sebum layer, which holds moisture in and blocks dirt out
- washing can remove these precious minerals, so the best thing you can do for your skin is to replace them immediately
- BEST WATER does just that, with a mineral complex that closely resembles nature’s own formula
- when skin loses softness through the processes of aging, the pores harden and appear larger. BEST WATER counteracts this tension, restoring the skin’s youthful elasticity and allowing pores to shrink naturally. The result is a soft, hydrated and fine texture complexion
OIL WATER is a pore-minimizing skin regenerating facial essence.
- each Bottle contains around 2000 stalks of damask rose water & oil, with well-known pore-tightening & anti-inflammatory effects
- a dual-layer essence that regenerates, protects, and soothes, keeping skin soft, supple, and radiant
- top layer: of Damask Rose Oil, Argan Oil, Olive Oil and others 8 types of plant oils together improve fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation
- bottom layer: provides extra vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your skin
ESTHÉ POWDER conceals fine lines and pores to give naturally flawless skin
It can also be used as a healing powder, especially on improving appearances of wrinkles and scars, thanks to its active ingredients of catechins, pearl powder, and silk powder:
- Catechins: fights free radicals, protects skin from sun damage, and increases the skin’s defence & self-healing abilities
- Pearl powder: used for centuries as a natural beauty agent for skin brightening to improve skin tone, anti-wrinkles, and lightens pigmentation
- Silk powder: adds a special luminous glow to your skin and helps retain moisture for soft, supple skin
Dual-function moisturizer for skin protection and makeup primer
WATER CREAM has dual function. It forms a layer between the skin and the external environment. It locks all applied nourishment in, it blocks external aggressions out.
- it’s a combination of 12 different types of flower oil and polymeric molecules to form a protective veil between your skin and heavy colouring of your make-up to prevent colour depositing
- also used as a makeup primer. Skin’s unevenness is corrected, giving a good adhesion of your foundation and a long-lasting makeup finish
- prevents moisture loss and skin dryness
WATER UV CREAM is a physical sunblock
- contains Titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide as reflective agents to reflect UV directly on the skin surface, instead of letting it penetrate.
- No harmful chemicals, unlike chemical sunscreen.
- Water-based, no oily feeling, gives a matt finish.
- velvety texture on skin on application.
- natural herbal scent of Clary.